Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 20...Yeah, I know

I was going to blog every day for thirty days. It was a beautiful dream; I could say "life got in the way", which it did, but i have realized that no one give a monkey flip whether i fulfill my 30 day promise...i do not say that in a "pity party" tone, but a "don't take yourself so seriously" tone.

It was Misty's and My BDay (21st and 23rd respectively); I got Misty a digital camera, and she suprised me with a trip to the Lake Blacksheare Resort, which Nicole's Parents (Bob and Sharon) manage. Andrew and Katie came with us, and it was really a lot of fun hanging out with them. Misty was so excited about my trip, and i realized afresh how deeply i am in love with her. There is truly no woman on this earth who i could be more comfortable with; and our friendship seems to continue to grow indefinitely.

I struggle with being bitter and cynical. I could probably explain pretty accurately where it comes from, but cannot seem to get over it. This is especially true of church lately. Our church has always emphasized healing and spirit-filled living as part of the life of a Christian. I hear people giving examples of how this looks in their life, and i feel myself want to say, "sure, maybe that works in your world of lolipops and rainbows and unicorns, but for the rest of us, we will try to just keep our feet on the ground, accept the facts of life". It feels good to be cynical; it makes you feel normal, like you are in control. The truth is, i long to see miracles, and people living in the spirit, living in a community where God is active; I long to have a relationship with God that is more real...more relational. How cool would it be to hear God say something...not the "still small voice", but a voice that has it's own accent, it's own personality.

Dinner's ready...check out some pics from the weekend.

2 comments:

AnnieBlogs said...

#1- I was looking forward to 30 days of blogging, but I quit crying on day 16.

#2- I appreciate your honesty.

#3- Tell your wife that I miss running in to her at Publix now that I don't live on that side of town.

matt a said...

Speaking of unicorns, I think it is the only missing link from the Obama campaign.

"And unicorns. I promise unicorns. For everybody."